Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Meat Eaters Only: Texas Slow-Smoked Brisket

This winter I decided to serve brisket at a dinner party. As I searched for recipes, I learned that there are two completely different approaches to brisket--one I think of as Jewish, the other Texan--both take all day. For the dinner party I went with a recipe from Ina Garten--brisket with carrot and onion. It was a great choice for serving 12, and it turned out great, but I vowed that I would try the other version come summer.

Here are the results. I used a dry BBQ rub from Saveur magazine, and their instructions for a slow-smoked brisket (the Texas issue, July 2009). After marinating in the rub overnight, it calls for building coals on one side of the grill and placing the brisket over a pan of water on the other side of the grill. Keeping the grill in the 225-250 degree range for 4-5 hours was a little tricky, but I got the hang of it after awhile. Then you wrap the brisket in foil, cover it with beer and cook it for another 2 hours before letting it rest for an hour. It was an all day project, but not labor intensive. Completely worth it.

I also made the grapefruit sheet cake from the same issue of Saveur--yum! Photos next time, I promise.

Photo credit: Thanks Mario!

No comments:

Post a Comment