Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Clamming in Chatham



Last weekend, Shelly was nice enough to teach me how to dig for clams on Cape Cod. These are large hard shelled quahogs, and we dug about 30 in less than a half hour. There was a whole incident with my rubber boots getting suction cupped in the mud before I gave up and went barefoot. I ditched the rake too, and end ended up just feeling around for the clams with my foot. I'd recommend sticking with the gloves though--I also had a run-in with a horseshoe crab, which has vary sharp claws.

We made made stuffed baked clams with these. The recipe calls for steaming the clams and then chopping them in the stuffing--very quick and easy. I've heard that trying to pry open the live clams can be really hard, and dangerous to boot. Shelly and I agreed that you might want to substitute a dried stuffing mix for all or part of the breadcrumbs recommended in the recipe--to your liking.

1 comment:

  1. Great photo with the clam basket in the foreground. Guess you are making good use of that dSLR, eh?

    ReplyDelete