Sunday, August 2, 2009

Red Pepper Jam with Tequila


In June the last two years, I've joined my family on a week-long "fishing trip" to Buckhorn Lake in Ontario. After finding Kwartha Country Wines last year, I made sure to head back again--they have a really great tasting bar and gift shop. In addition to making traditional red and white grape wines, they have a quirky selection of wines made from Ontario fruit, including rhubarb, pumpkin and maple syrup. Most of all, I have liked their wine jellies, and have brought home a merlot wine jelly and red pepper jam with tequila each year. This year the red pepper jam was gone far too soon, so today I went about recreating it. I think I came very close.


Red Pepper Jam with Tequila
2 red peppers
3 serrano peppers
2 jalapeno peppers
1 1/4 C. white vinegar
5 C. sugar
2 pkg. liquid pectin (Certo)
1/3 C. tequila

  • Seed and roughly chop the red and hot peppers, pulse in food processor until finely chopped.
  • Heat peppers and vinegar in a 4 quart pot, bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes .
  • Add sugar and return to a boil for 5 minutes.
  • Add pectin and tequila and boil again for 1-2 minutes.
  • Remove from heat and skim off foam.
  • Fill sterilized jars and process according to the manufacturer's directions. (I put the sealed/filled jars in a boiling hot water bath for 10 minutes.)
From this batch I made 7 weck small tulip jars (1/5 liter each).

It seems to me that how many of the serrano / jalapeno peppers you use is a judgment call. At first I only used one of each, but I tasted with the vinegar and sugar, and it seemed to need more. When I open these in a week or so, I think I'll have a better idea if I over did it!

I serve this on crackers or thin slices of toasted baguette with a mild cheese. I love the sweet-spicy-creamy balance and the cheery color.

Making jam yourself?
Join the virtual jam swap hosted by"Under the High Chair"

An update from UtHC...

No comments:

Post a Comment